Have you just started out as a short story writer? Perhaps you’ve been writing for a little while, but haven’t been confident enough to submit to anthologies or competitions?
I am reposting a notice directly from a friends blog with regards to a short story competition specifically aimed at beginners.
It is run by a writing site whose main focus is to start the fledging writer on their path – whatever that may be. Although you don’t have to pay an entry fee, donations are welcome. (If you are interested, part of the sites mission statement is focused on assisting cancer patients through writing therapy.)
The submission date is just around the corner – so don’t delay! Enter now….
Third Annual Beginner’s Short Story Contest
A contest that is truly for beginner’s only! If you have been fortunate enough to sell a book or a short story – congratulations – but you don’t qualify for this contest. If, on the other hand, you have self-published, you do qualify. This is an honor system.
1. Any genre (Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Romance, (no erotica), Children, etc.)
2. 1,000 – 1,750 words
3. No entry fee or reading fee. Creative Writing Institute is a 501(c)3 non-profit charity that sponsors cancer patients in writing therapy courses. If possible, please donate $2 to $5 through credit card or PayPal to help with cash prize. Donate at:http://creativewritinginstitute.com/donate.php
4. All rights remain the property of the author.
5. Submit story as an attachment in Word, or in .rtf format, or paste it into the body of an email
6. Entries must be G-rated. That means no swearing or vulgar language.
7. Entries must be received by midnight, USA Eastern Standard Time, October 20, 2011
8. Mail to head judge, firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Put WRITING CONTEST in the subject line
10. Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, style, and technique
11. Entries that do not follow submission guidelines will be discarded. Check them and double check them.
12. Up to two entries per person
Winners will be notified by email on or before December 15, 2011.
Prizes: 1st place winner will receive cash (up to $100, depending on donations received) OR a free, tutored writing course at Creative Writing Institute, valued at $200. In addition, the winner will receive Word Magic by Cindy Rogers and an autographed copy of Word Trippers by Barbara McNichol. Winning entry will be published on our website and blog, along with a bio and picture, if provided.
Second place: Two free tutoring sessions with CEO and Founder, Deborah Owen, and a copy of Word Magic by Cindy Rogers. Winner’s name will be published on our website and blog and we will provide a link to your story.
Third place: One free tutoring session with CEO and Founder, Deborah Owen, and an autographed copy of Word Trippers by Barbara McNichol. Winner’s name will be published on our website and blog and we will provide a link to your story.
Honorable mentions: Names will be published on our website and blog and we will provide a link to your story.
This is a small contest and your chances of winning are good. Enter today!