Hi folks – start your new year with this competition. Run by my good friend and mentor,Deborah Owen, the CEO of Creative Writing Institute, its aimed at new and emerging authors. It’s a themed contest and defiantly a clean PG style anthology. Winners will be published in an ebook by Raging Aardvark Publishing – as well as collecting some cool gifts. Details and links to the competition are below.
Your story may be any genre, but this sentence must appear somewhere in the story: “Tonight we re-write the rules… “
Three cash winners and seven additional Judge’s Choice stories will receive publication in our first anthology and Ebook, entitled “OVERRULED!”
First prize – $50 (or $100 rebate on any eight-week writing course) and publication in the anthology.
Second prize – $25 (or $50 rebate on any eight-week writing course) and publication in the anthology.
Third prize –$10 (or $25 rebate on any eight-week writing course) and publication in the anthology.
Accepting submissions from February 1, 2013 through midnight, EST, February 28, 2013.
Enter now! It’s FREE to enter.
1. Any genre: Horror, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Humor, Romance, Children, etc., No erotica, profanity, swearing, or gore. (Swearing includes the following: hell, damn, bitch, etc., using God’s name in vain, and other similar words.) This is a “G” rated contest. Entries that do not follow the guidelines will be disqualified. To query, please contact the head judge at CWIContest2012@gmail.com.
2. Entries must be 1,000 to 1,750 words. (Don’t count the title or personal information.) Place the word count at the top of page 1.
3. No more than two entries per person, please. Each story must be a separate entry.
4. By entering this contest, you are saying that the story is your own copyright, it has not been previously published, you grant minor editing rights for publication, and if chosen, Creative Writing Institute has first, non-exclusive, electronic rights.
We hope to sell the anthologies for ninety-nine cents. All proceeds will go to Creative Writing Institute, Inc., a nonprofit charity that sponsors cancer patients in writing courses.
5. Entries will be judged on originality, creativity, style, and technique.
6. Be sure that your entry has been proofread and edited. We deduct points for poorly structured sentences, spelling errors, and grammatical errors. Your entry should reflect your commitment to writing.
7. Submit entry through Submittable . You must submit as plain text. (As you go through the submission process, there will be a space for you to cut and paste your document.) Entries sent as .pdf, attachments or pasted into emails will NOT be accepted.
8. Read tips and tricks on how to win a contest.
FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES. Winners will be notified by email on or before April 30, 2013.
Direct your questions to Jo Popek, head judge, at CWIContest2012@gmail.com.
Our thanks to the Competition Coordinator and Publisher, Annie Evett of Raging Aardvark Publishing.
Oh – and pop over and sign up for The Writer’s Choice Newsletter to get the latest, hottest tips on writing.